Building Blocks Pharmacy Technician Course
- Course Materials
- 4 weeks of course instruction
- 80 hours of hands on training through our externship program
- Internship begins after the 4 weeks of classroom instruction.
This Virginia Pharmacy Board approved program prepares students to work as a pharmacy technician in a retail or other pharmacy setting and to take the Virginia Pharmacy Technician Exam and the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board’s exam, the PTCE.
Course content includes: pharmacy medical terminology, the history of pharmacy, the pharmacy practice in multiple environments, pharmacy calculations and measurements, reading and interpreting prescriptions and defining drugs by generic and brand names. Through classroom lecture and hands on labs, students will review: dosage calculations, drug classifications, the “top 200 drugs”, I.V. flow rates, sterile compounding, dose conversions, aseptic technique, the handling of sterile products, total parental nutrition (TPN), dispensing of prescriptions, inventory control and billing and reimbursement. The course culminates with a 4 week internship in a pharmacy.
The total cost of the course is $1,150. Tuition includes the cost for materials, books and the internship experience. A minimum of $50 is needed to reserve your seat. Option to finance the remaining balance at 0% interest is available.
- Possess a valid government-issued photo identification card
- Be either a graduate of high school or GED®
- Have no physical or mental limitations that would preclude you from working as a pharmacy technician
- Have a statement of good health completed by a physician.
- Be able to pass a criminal background check with no felonies or drug offenses. ($50 fee)
- Complete a Drug Screening ($50 fee)
- Show proof of mandatory immunizations